"Can you tell me how to become a soldier?"...



"Can you tell me how to become a soldier?"...

(I have always advocated, that "soldiering" does not only mean donning the Olive Green uniform. "Soldier" is another word for "discipline", meaning anybody & everybody who is "disciplined", is a "soldier").
Read on.....


Many years ago, the story is told of a soldier who always wore his Regimental tie & lapel pin when in public. On some occasions, he rode the bus from his home to the downtown area. On one such trip & when he sat down, he discovered the driver had accidentally given him a quarter too much change. As he considered what to do, he thought to himself, "You'd better give the quarter back. It would be wrong to keep it." Then he thought, "Oh, forget it, it's only a quarter; who would worry about this little amount." Anyway, the transit company gets too much fare; they will never miss it. Accept it as a 'gift from God' & keep quiet. When his stop came, he paused momentarily at the door, then he handed the quarter to the driver & said, "Here, you gave me too much change." The driver with a smile replied, " I noticed your Regimental tie & lapel pin. I have been thinking lately about asking a soldier how to join, as my son wants to join the Army. I just wanted to see what you would do if I gave you too much change. You passed the test. Can you tell me how to become a soldier?" When the soldier stepped off the bus, he said a silent prayer, "Oh God, I almost sold you & my beloved Army out for a mere quarter."
Our 'actions' are the only 'soldierly' creed some will ever see. This is almost a scary example of how people watch us as soldiers & may put us to the test even without us realizing it! Always be diligent, whether it be at the theatre, restaurant, grocery, service station or just driving in traffic.
Remember, whether it be a regimental tie, a lapel pin, a ring, or an emblem on the car, you carry the name of a 'great fraternity' on your shoulders whenever you call yourself a 'soldier'. You never can tell who might be watching!
Good men search for 'soldiering'; 'soldiering' makes them better.

Think about it...
Cheers...
:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Navy Call List - Military Phonetic Alphabet

Male Machoism??? Crazy Crap

8 Indian spices that prevent cancer